Thursday, January 6, 2011

Flight and arrival to Beijing

We arrived in Beijing last night (China time) at 6:00pm. We are 13 hours ahead of the EST in the USA. We had traveled for almost 27 hours and we were worn out. We got into our hotel, ordered room service, because Kendall wanted it, and crashed. I slept all night while Georgia and Kendall half slept and made fun of me for snoring. We got up this morning and went downstairs for an awesome western/eastern buffet breakfast. We have seen a few American families but it seems the majority of people here are Chinese.



We took Kendall downstairs and let her exchange some of her US currency for Chinese RMB, then went for a walk to try to find a department store to do a little shopping, in 20 degree weather. We must have walked 22 blocks before finding, what else, an IGA. It did have a small shopping center upstairs and it got us out of the cold for a bit. We bought some drinks and chips. The chip flavors would never sell in the US but they fit the culture here. The ones in the picture are numb and spicy hot pot flavor and my favorite, hot and sour fish soup flavor. I got in line and checked out, paid and the cashier slid my stuff to the end and went to the next customer. There I stood with about 15 items, a 12 pack of bottled water, a 2 liter drink and no bags to put everything in. Luckily, Georgia was smart enough to do a little sign language and figure out you had to bring your own or buy them. We bought 3, loaded up and made the trek back down the crowded city streets to our hotel. We did pass a Fire Department on the way back and I had to take a picture for all my Firefighters back home. Kendall is bouncing off the walls to go swimming so I know what I have to do as soon as our meeting at 3:00pm is over. We are safe and sound and enjoying being out of our element for a bit.






9 comments:

  1. GA! you made it through the flight! I didn't know it was so cold there in China?! Mark, Kendall! How was swimming?! How wonderful and awesome that you guys made it there without a blip on the screen. Only 6 more days 'til you get your PSG right?

    In my thoughts,

    Sarah Fairbanks

    p.s. I think I would like the fish chips...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, Georgia and Kendall - I am so glad you are there and having a good time. Kendall, did you get to go swimming yet? Sounds like shopping is a little different in China. New experiences, huh? I can hardly wait until Gotcha day and see you, Kendall, as a big sister. I love and miss you all. Have fun. Amma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, what in the world does hot and sour fish soup flavor chips taste like. Doesn't sound too appealing to me. Love you, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mark, Georgia and Kendall,
    I love hearing about your adventures -- feel like I'm there with you. So glad all is going well and you're able to get out and have some "walkabouts" -- oops, wrong country. Keep writing (often) and feel our prayers going up to God for you's guys. Love, Kay (and Ty)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark, you are so perceptive, noticing tht most of the people there are Chinese! We are excited about your trip and look forward to a pic of Xin & Kendall together on "Gotch Day" (1/10).
    Love ya, Papa

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAAY!! Hurry home, we cannot wait to meet Presley!! Love you all and love reading about your adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How are you standing it not getting to see her until then?? Oh my gosh! I'm going crazy for you! The anxiety is killing me! (though not as bad as the fish flavored potato chips! YUCK!). By the way, how did you know what flavor they were??

    Anyway, the pictures are awesome. You can never write enough to satisfy all of us. We all want to know every little detail! Can't wait to hear more. You all are in my thoughts and prayers!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's about 11:00 p here and you guys must be on the ground headed on your way to get Presley. We will be in dreamland here when you take her in your arms for the first time. Wish we could be there too. But we are thinking of you before we lay our heads down and have been since you left. Hoping and praying for a joyful and fearless union for you guys just like with Kendall.
    Love and Hugs from us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to waking to gotcha photos!!!!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete